7/12/12

CONFIDENCE, SMILE, HAIR FLICK, KILL IT.

Dear All You Fabulous, Beautiful, Drop Dead Gorgeous, And Talented Dancers,

The Raptors Dance Pak auditions are just around the corner... technically couple days, which is totally closer than around the corner, but my goal here is not to scare you. Four years ago today, I was in the exact same position you are in. Some of you have probably already made your trip to Lululemon, have your fake eyelashes all ready, or, if you're anything like me, you're a last minute child, and will decide on the colour of your half top and shorts the morning of the audition (from experience, I don't suggest this). James had asked me to do a piece on the Dance Pak auditions from my point of view. From woman-to-woman, I'm obviously going to give you so much more. I was on the Raptors Dance Pak for three years, and spent my third year as Co-Captain with Kat.



Three years on the Dance Pak gave me some of my best memories, my closest friends, my independence, a sense of leadership, teamwork, discipline, and kept me in the best shape. The Dance Pak became my life. We rehearsed three days a week, when games started, you're looking at 4-5 days a week with the team either in rehearsal, on court, or working at appearances. So, yes, the Dance Pak was a very intensive job. But, we're dancers, dancing 4-5 days a week is like a dream come true, well it was for me at least. 
Now, let's talk the audition. Please, don't be scared. First of all the Dance Pak choreographer, Amberley Waddell, is probably one of the most talented choreographers I know. I already know you are going to LOVE the combination. If you have never auditioned for anything like this before, again, don't be scared. Amberley will teach you the combination, you will get to practice for a bit. She will then split you up in groups of 6 or smaller, and you will get to strut your stuff to the judges. Amberley is looking for confidence (that is the number one thing), personality, dance ability, presence, attitude, flare, and style. I shouldn't have to remind you of these things though, you ladies are all professionals. James and I did a little interview on more of the audition process and what it is required to be part of Dance Pak, as well as some of my experiences both being on and since being part of the Dance Pak.



I consider myself a very lucky person to have experienced what I have with MLSE. The ladies on the Dance Pak became my family. They were the people who I would tell my Saturday night stories to during our Sunday morning on-court rehearsals. Through any breakup, happy day, or terrible day, I always looked forward to work. I will never call the Dance Pak a job, because it wasn't, it was my therapy. It got me through some of the most stressful moments in my life, up to now. If you're on the fence about auditioning Saturday, let me be the one to push you. GO. If I didn't put on that pink half top and fake eyelashes that Sunday morning at 8 am, 4 years ago, I would NOT be the same person I am today. 

So, now that you have made your final decision to go, I'm going to leave you with a HUGE GOOD LUCK. I'm sending you all of my love. And remember Confidence, Smile, Hair Flick, KILL IT!
xo- CK

P.S- You should also go check out the info for the auditions on Raptors.com as well as some more tips and tricks from them on how you can do your very best on audition day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment